Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mana'olana

nvt. Hope, confidence, expectation; to hope.

I was trying to think of a more "appropriate" word for this time of year (summer, heat, fun) but manaʻolana kept popping into my head.  And when that happens to me, I gotta roll with it. Seems there are so many things going on around me...people dying, friends going through rough times, and, of course, there are our own personal struggles we deal with on a day to day basis. And at times like these we have to hope. Sometimes itʻs all we have!

Now is as good a time as any to share this word with all of you: manaʻolana - to hope. You can break the word into two separate parts: manaʻo = thought, belief, meaning. Lana = to float, buoyant. So put together manaʻolana can literally mean buoyant thoughts. Hmm...when you put it that way it seems to make good sense. When we are hopefully our thoughts seem to float, right? Better than sinking!

He manaʻolana koʻu - I have hope.
Manaʻolana au e maha kou naʻau - I hope that your naʻau (insides) will be put at ease/freed from pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment