Friday, October 30, 2009

Pilau

Rot, stench, rottenness; to stink; putrid, spoiled, rotten, foul, decomposed.

Last weekend as I went for my weekend walk along the dairy road up Paʻauilo, there was a definite pilau smell along the road.  It began abruptly and ended abruptly.  It was so pilau I immediately put my hand up to cover my now. Major pilau.  My eyes scanned the horizon searching for a cow with four feet up in the air.  That pilau smell was definitely a decomposed animal of some sort.  Pilau.  It's that odor that your nose really can't take.  You want to pinch your nostrils together, put your shirt up over your nose, hold your breath all together. That rotting, stinking stench.  Think of decomposition of the worst sort.

Kü ka pilau - the stench rises

Maka pilau - rotten eyes, one with rotten eyes, a ghost.

Make pilau - complete defeat in a game

Do you have a pilau story? Do you remember hearing and using the word pilau when you were growing up?  My grandma and my dad used it a lot. Must have had plenty stink stuff around!

Sign up to follow this blog. It is on the right hand side bar. And leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment